Preparing for surgery is exciting, but do not let all the excitement let you forget about the important questions you should ask. Having plastic surgery is a very special event in your life. Aesthetic plastic surgery not only can change your appearance, but also improve your self-confidence. Dr. Hovsepian and his staff have guided many patients through their surgical journey. Your selection of a surgeon is one of the most important decisions you make when you decide to undergo cosmetic surgery.
The selection of a plastic surgeon can often be an overwhelming task. As a triple board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Hovsepian developed these recommendations that can guide you through the consultation smoothly and at ease. These suggestions can increase the probability that that you would acquire the greatest amount of valuable information about your plastic surgery procedure of interest.
Dr. Hovsepain recommends that you prepare thoroughly for your consultation and have an understanding of your procedure and your options, viewing his website can help you with your knowledge about your desired procedures.
The following tips will help guide you though a thorough plastic surgery consultation.
- • Do your best to book your consultation on a day where you will be able to set aside 60 minutes to be in our office. We want to be sure to give you a sufficient amount of time to have the doctor answer all of your questions.
- • Prepare yourself with essential information on your procedure of interest. There are many educational videos and information on our website to do so. This will maximize the efficiency of your time being spent, and allow such time to be devoted to your particular questions of interest.
- • Focus solely on the procedures you want to have done in the near future.
- • Create a list of specific questions or concerns to discuss with Dr. Hovsepian, as it can provide some desired direction for your conversation. For more thorough results, have follow up questions ready. This way, you can leave the consultation with as much information as possible.
- • Bring along photographs of similar results you would like to achieve. This may mean photos of you when you were younger, before you had kids, or of models in magazines or catalogs. These photos will assist Dr. Hovsepian to better understand your aesthetic goals and facilitating the necessary steps to achieve the look you desire.
- • Patients who seek facial rejuvenation procedures should bring in photos of his or herself from a time when they felt the most radiant to get the most natural result. Dr. Hovsepian further recommends bringing in photographs, if you are a female, of your mother, or if you are a male, of your father, for hereditary comparisons.
- • Breast augmentation patients are recommended to bring in bras or swimsuit tops to assist Dr. Hovsepian in better predicting the desired future size of your breast implant surgery.
- • Come in with a supportive friend or family member if the both of you are able and willing. Not only will their presence make you feel more comfortable, but they also serve as another source for questions. Additionally, your accompanying person will have a better sense of what to expect during your recovery.
- • Although children are always welcome, we advise you not to bring them. We consistently hear from patients who bring their children in that they wished they hadn’t because they made it difficult to focus on the discussion.
- • Before your appointment, we will mail out your new patient intake forms or you can download them from our website. It is advised that they be completed beforehand to save time once you arrive at the office.
- • If you think the procedure you are considering may be covered by your health insurance, such as a breast reduction or a septo-rhinoplasty it would be beneficial for you to contact your insurance carrier to verify that your procedure of interest is in fact covered, or medically necessary. If you can, bring any forms sent to you by the insurance company. It saves significant time and gives us the opportunity to submit your claim to your insurance company quicker and more efficiently.
- • Understand that there may be needed lab work or tests to proceed with the surgery. All patients over the age of 60 must have an EKG, while all breast surgery patients over 35 must have a mammogram. If you would like to have the surgery soon after your consultation, it is a good idea to schedule those prior to the appointment.
- • Write down your current medications and allergies, if any. Provide Dr. Hovsepian with a copy of your medication list for your medical records.
- • If you are coming in for a corrective surgery, and have medical records from that previous surgery. Be prepared ahead of time with possible surgery dates and a surgical deposit to hold your date.
- • If you are interested in financing your procedure, you can visit our website under ‘Financing’ to complete the online application and for information regarding such loans.
- • Think about surgery dates and about time that you may need to take off of work.
- • For visiting or out-of-state patients, Dr. Hovsepian lists valuable travel and hotel accommodation information on our website www.rhmd.com.
Dr. Hovsepian is a Newport Beach and Beverly Hills triple board certified plastic surgeon. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a Fellow of The American College of Surgeons. He specializes in all aspects of aesthetic plastic surgery.
For more information and to schedule a consultation with Dr. Hovsepian please contact us.